This page is still under construction, like many of the places!
AN A-Z OF TRUMPINGTON PLACE NAMES
WITH NOTES ON THEIR DERIVATION
Addenbrooke’s Road: the road developed to provide access to the Cambridge Biomedical Campus/Addenbrooke’s Hospital and the new housing developments on Glebe Farm and Clay Farm, linking Hauxton Road, Shelford Road and the Hospital. Opened in October 2010, it had been referred to as the Addenbrooke’s Access Road during the planning and construction process.
Allbutt Way: named after Sir Thomas Clifford Allbutt (1836-1925), an eminent physician. He married Susan England (1841-1936) in 1869. His initial medical career was in Leeds, when he invented the short-stemmed clinical thermometer. He was appointed Regius Chair of Physic at the University of Cambridge in 1892 and elected Physician to the old Addenbrooke’s Hospital in 1900. He edited the multi-volume System of Medicine, published 1896-99. The family lived at St Rhadegund’s, 5 Chaucer Road from 1895. Sir Clifford died at his home on 22 February 1925 and was buried in the Trumpington extension churchyard.
Allen Court: named after Thomas Allen, charity benefactor in the 17th century; built for the Church of England in 1964.
Alpha Terrace: originally called Scott’s Row after Nathan Scott who had a builder’s yard next to the Free Church; later named after ‘Alpha Cottage’, being called Alpha Row in the parish register entries from 1886-90 and Alpha Terrace in the 1891 census; also known as Alpha Road and recorded as such on the 1903 Ordnance Survey map: the 1910 Land Value map was annotated to read Alpha Terrace
Anstey View, (Consort Avenue) a block of flats which looks across a play area towards the grounds of Anstey Hall and the Hall itself.
Anstey Way: was named in1946 after the Anstey family, owners of Anstey Hall from 1748-1838. Anstey Hall was acquired by Dr Christopher Anstey in 1748 after he and his wife Mary contested the will of her father,
Argent Road:. ‘Argent’ is a winter wheat produced by the PBI in 1977.
The Aura Building: ‘Aura’ was a marketing name given to the development by Countryside Properties in 2013.
Austin Drive: named after William Austin who was one of the leading members of local society in 17th century Trumpington. He was a churchwarden in 1666, and when he died in 1679 he left bequests to help establish a school in the village and to support local charities. His gift came into effect in 1708 when 11 children were identified to be taught by a school ‘dame’.
Avalon Way:. ‘Avalon’ was the first of many modern wheat varieties for bread making bred by Plant Breeding Institute
Baker Lane: named after John Fleetwood Baker, Baron Baker of Windrush (1901–1985), a civil engineer who invented the Morrison Shelter and ways of using less metal while retaining strength. John Baker married Fiona Mary MacAlister Walker (1903-79) in 1928. He was Professor of Mechanical Sciences and Head of the Cambridge University’s Department of Engineering from 1943-68. He and his wife lived in Trumpington from 1945, at Bentley Road, Long Road and Crossways Gardens. He was active in the local church and invented a device for removing cobwebs from higher areas in the church.
Banner Road: ‘Banner’ was a variety of winter beans bred in Trumpington by the Plant Breeding Institute.
Barn Road: There was a ‘traditional’ barn in the farm buildings when Glebe Farm was a dairy unit.
Barrow Road: named after Trinity College fellow Isaac Barrow (1630-77); built from the 1930s onwards.
Bead Road:. ‘Maris Bead’ is a spring bean variety bred by the PBI.
Beech Drive: There used to be a specimen beech tree on Glebe Farm.
Bentley Road: named after Trinity College fellow Richard Bentley (1662-1742); built from 1903 onwards.
Berwick Place: ‘Berwick’ is a spring barley produced by the PBI in 2001.
Beverley Way: assumed to be named after Beverley Cathedral; there is no record at the Guildhall to explain the name
Beyer Road Ralph Beyer (1921-2008), was a letter-cutter and sculptor. Born in Germany, at the age of 16 he trained under Eric Gill, and later worked as a letter cutter in Cambridge while living in Foster Road. He moved to London and created acclaimed lettering work and sculpted panels (Tablets of the Word) for the interior of the new Coventry Cathedral.
Bishop’s Road and Bishop’s Court: built on glebe land belonging to the Church of England. They may have been named after Arthur Wallis Bishop, a Trumpington resident and benefactor to the parish church and the village. Arthur Wallis Bishop died in 1919. The construction of houses in Bishop’s Road commenced in the early 1920s.
The Brambles: built in the 1980s by Melbourn Property Co. Ltd.of Potton, the same developers as Lambourne Close and Gayton Close. The land was previously a scrubby area used by local children.
Brook End Close: named after Hobson’s Brook, which flows through the Clay Farm development to the east of the Close
Byron Square: presumably named after Lord Byron (1788-1824) the poet and Cambridge student who swam at ‘Byron’s Pool’; named in 1946.
Campbell Lane: presumably named after Captain William Huntley Campbell (d. 1844), the first husband of Frances Pemberton.
Carmine Road: ‘Carmine’ is a grain maize produced by the PBI in 1992.
Carter House (Glebe Farm Drive): named after the Carter family, who lived locally. Thomas Herbert (Bert) Carter (1893-1979) founded the garage and petrol station on Shelford Road (now the Buckingham & Stanley garage) and ran it from the early 1930s to the late 1950s. He married Edna May Baxter in York in 1928 and they lived at 156 Shelford Road from the 1930s.
Cedar Road: There was a prominent cedar tree in the garden of 110 Shelford
Road; the house was demolished and the tree removed in 2007 when Addenbrooke’s Road was constructed
Chalkwells Way: Chalkwells is an alternative name for Nine Wells. The Nine Wells Local Nature Reserve is to the south east of Clay Farm, with a series of springs which provide the source for Hobson’s Brook.
Chaplen Street Thomas Chaplin or Chaplen was Lord of the Manor of Trumpington in the early 1600s. In 1610, he signed a tripartite agreement with the town and the university, giving them rights over Hobson’s Brook which provided a water supply into Cambridge, running from Nine Wells through Trumpington to Hobson’s Conduit.
Charger Road: ‘Charger’ is a winter wheat initiated by the PBI,
Chaucer Road: named after Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1343-1400), poet, writer of The Canterbury Tales, including The Reeve’s Tale which has references to Trumpington.
The Cherry Building (Addenbrooke’s Road): named after Alan Cherry, the former Chairman of Countryside Properties, who died in 2010. He was a passionate supporter of sustainable communities and high quality design
Church Lane: the road between the church and the High Street.
Clay Farm Drive: named after Clay Farm, the farm house and farmland to the south of Long Road and east of the village.
Consort Avenue: ‘Consort’ was an important variety of winter wheat bred in
Corn Lane: Glebe Farm was a dairy farm until the 1970s and then converted into an arable farm, with crops including cereals.
Cornwell Road: named after the Cornwell family, a progressive local farming family. Robert Ephraim Cornwell and his son Reginald John Cornwell took over the tenancy of Clay Farm in 1931; Reg Cornwell continued at Clay Farm after his father died in 1932, until his own death in 1973.
Cosin House (St Michael Street) named after Edmund Cosin (1510/11-1574?) was a Cambridge college head, thought to have been Vicar of Trumpington in1553.
Cranleigh Close, Craven Close: built by Willett Homes in 1968-69 on the area of open space with allotments owned by the church in the 19th and early 20th century.
Dakins House (Beech Drive) William Dakins (1568/9-1607) was a biblical scholar and the Vicar of Trumpington, c.1603-05
Denis Wilson Court (Porson Road) was built in 1980 by the Royal British Legion for ex-servicemen and women and named in honour of its national treasurer. It was later
taken over by a housing association and the 52 flats are now managed by Housing & Care 21.
Diamond Close: built on Trinity College land, this road may have taken its name from the name of Isaac Newton’s dog. (Newton was a fellow of Trinity)
Dobson Way: The Dobsons were another long-established Trumpington family, including stone masons and builders. At the enclosure of the parish in 1804, William Dobson was awarded two small parcels of land, one in the village centre between the High Street and Church Lane and another at the southern edge of the parish east of Shelford Road.
Drury Avenue: named after John Drury, who was a long-serving and inspirational teacher at Fawcett School. He will be particularly remembered for his end of term productions, when the musicals were eagerly awaited by parents and students alike. After his retirement in 1987, he established a small wholesale nursery growing scented geraniums.
Edwinstowe Close named after one of the large houses built in the 1890’s
Ellis Road: named after Robert Leslie Ellis (1817-59), a mathematician and classical scholar, who lived at Anstey Hall from 1853 until his death.
Elm Road: There used to be a specimen elm tree on Glebe Farm.1859. He was buried in Trumpington churchyard.
Ely Place: built on allotment land in 1987 and assumed to be named after Ely Cathedral; there is no record at the Guildhall about the name
Exeter Close: assumed to be named after Exeter Cathedral; there is no record at the Guildhall about the name; built 1962 to early 1970s.
Fawcett Road: named after the Fawcett family. Henry Fawcett (1833-84), was a respected economist and politician who married the feminist campaigner Millicent Garrett (1847-1929). They lived at 18 Brookside, Cambridge, from 1874-84 and were both strong supporters of women’s education. Henry Fawcett died in 1884 and was buried in Trumpington Churchyard. There are memorials to Henry Fawcett in Trumpington Church and Victoria Embankment Gardens, London, and a memorial to Henry and Millicent Fawcett in Westminster Abbey. Fawcett School was named in his memory.
Fletcher House (Beech Drive) Charles Fletcher was the owner of the Reliance garage and petrol station on Shelford Road in the 1960s (now the Buckingham & Stanley garage).
Forbes Close and The Forbes Building (Addenbrooke’s Road): named after Charles Forbes (d. 1926) who was head gardener at Anstey Hall and prominent in starting the Grantchester and Trumpington horticultural shows, c. 1880-90. Charles Forbes was born in 1850 in Birse, near Aboyne, Aberdeenshire. He built Aboyne Cottages at the eastern end of Alpha Terrace, lived at 1 Aboyne Cottages from about 1908, and died in Trumpington in 1926.
Forty Acre Road:. ‘Forty Acres’ was a field name for an area west of Hauxton Road and south of the M11, used as a name during the Plant Breeding Institute period.
Foster Road: named in 1946, probably after the Foster family. Ebenezer Foster was a Cambridge banker who purchased Anstey Hall in 1838.
Fowler Avenue: named after Sir Ralph Howard Fowler (1889-1944), a mathematical physicist who lived in Trumpington. He was appointed lecturer in mathematics at Trinity College in 1920, working under the influence of Sir Ernest Rutherford, and was later Professor of Mathematical Physics. He married Sir Ernest’s daughter, Eileen Mary Rutherford, in 1921. The family lived at Cromwell House, Trumpington Road, where Sir Ralph died in 1944.
Gayton Close: see Lambourne Close
Gazeley Road: the first house in this road was built in 1891 and was originally named ‘Goldieslie’. The second occupant of the house, Mrs J.Collin, grew up in Gazeley, Suffolk, and the house was renamed ‘Gazeley House’. The name had been adopted for the road by 1910 when the Land Value map was annotated with the name in pencil.
Glanville Road Glanville Llewelyn Williams (1911-1997), was a campaigner and reformer of the justice system, married to Lorna Margaret Lawfield. The family lived in Gazeley Road, Trumpington.
Glebe Farm Drive named after Glebe Farm (formerly Vicarage Farm), the farmland awarded to the Church at the inclosure of the parish in 1804-09. Glebe Farm is the name by which it was known when it was removed from the Green Belt in 2006.
Grantchester Road: the road between Trumpington village and Grantchester; called Grantchester Lane in the 1881 and later census.
Gresham House (Kingfisher Gardens): named after Professor Austin Gresham (1924-2009), Professor of Morbid Anatomy and Histopathology, Cambridge University, and a Home Office pathologist who lived in Trumpington. His book A Colour Atlas of Forensic Pathology inspired the Britart movement.
Hackett House (Glebe Farm Drive) named after John Hacket (1592-1670) Vicar of Trumpington 1620 -1622, and Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield 1661 -1670.
Harness Close: ‘Harness’ was the name of a Clydesdale horse who worked on Glebe Farm.
Harradine Street named after the Harradines, a long-established Trumpington family. Members of the family were the village blacksmiths from the 1760s. At the enclosure of the parish in 1804, William, Martha and James Harradine were awarded adjacent parcels of land to the east of Trumpington High Street (including the area now crossed by Alpha Terrace and Wingate Way). With 15 acres, they became the largest lay landowners after the Pemberton and Anstey families.
Hartree Lane: named after Eva Hartree (c.1873-1947) and family. William Hartree and Eva Rayner married in 1895 and the family lived in Newton Road and Bentley Road, William Hartree was an engineer and university lecturer. Eva Hartree was active in public affairs. She served as President of the National Council of Women, was a local Councillor and the first woman Mayor of Cambridge in 1924-25. One of their three children, Douglas Rayner Hartree (1897-1958), was a theoretical physicist and mathematician, whose achievements included the development of numerical analysis and the construction of a differential analyser made with Meccano. He was closely involved in the development of computers in the 1940s.
Harvest Road: Harvest Road commemorates the many harvests gathered from Glebe Farm before it was developed for housing.
Hauxton Road: the road between Trumpington village and the southern boundary of the parish at Hauxton Mill; shown as ‘Turnpike Road’ on the 1804 inclosure map.
Hawkey Road: In the 1950-60s, the Trumpington Young Farmers Club held Hawkey Suppers to celebrate the completion of the harvest.
Hereward Road:. ‘Hereward’ is one of the best bread making wheat varieties, bred by the PBI and grown by farmers since the early 1990s.
High Street: the main road through the village, from Long Road to the junction with Hauxton Road and Shelford Road. ‘High Street’ was in use by the 1841 census, but the road was also called London Road or Cambridge Road in other 19th century censuses and on Ordnance Survey maps and Trumpington Road on the 1910 Land Value map. Also known as Trumpington High Street.
Hobson Avenue, Hobson Square and Hobson Road: Thomas Hobson (1544/45-1631) was a Cambridge carrier who left money in his will towards the maintenance of the conduit and brook which had been constructed c.1610 and now bears his name
Hudson Close: small close off the road to Clay Farm house, built 2011. Frances Pemberton’s daughter from her first marriage, Patience, born 1844, married Dr Thomas Percy Hudson in 1870.
Huntsman Road: ‘Maris Huntsman’ was a wheat variety bred by the Plant Breeding Institute that gave a big stimulus to production.
Kestrel Rise: ‘Maris Kestrel’ is a marrow stem kale, developed by the PBI.
Kingfisher Gardens Named after birds sighted regularly on nearby Hobson’s Brook.
Lambourne Close and Gayton Close were originally called ‘Trumpington Court’ and built in 1979 by Melbourn Property Co. Ltd., Potton. The ‘Close’ names had no local connections: the company chose them as they were attractive. The company’s subsequent developments in the area were named after trees and shrubs, including The Brambles.
Lantree Crescent: built in gardens to the rear of Bishop’s Road and named after the developers, Lantree Limited, 1963-67
Lapwing Avenue: lapwings no longer over winter in their thousands on the fields, but since the creation of Hobson’s Park, they have started to nest there.
Latham Road and Latham Close: named after Rev. Henry Latham (1821-1902), Master of Trinity Hall, whose house, Southacre, was built in 1880.
Lime Avenue: the road is lined with lime trees, planted by Countryside Properties as mature trees in 2012.
Lingrey Court: derived from ‘Lingey Fen’, an area on the west bank of the River Cam near Byron’s Pool where ice-skating championships were held in the 1920s (‘Lingrey’ with an ‘r’ was mistakenly used by the Council); a group of self-build houses, built in the early 1980s.
Long Road: named Trumpington New Road on Baker’s 1830 map; also named Mill Road on the 1880s Ordnance Survey map, derived from the windmill on the north side of the road near its west end; still named Mill Road in the early 1900s; renamed Long Road before 1910 (‘Mill Road’ printed but ‘Long Road’ as a handwritten annotation on the Land Value map), presumably to reflect it originally being a long straight road.
Maddox House (Beech Drive) David Maddox (1922-97) was the Vicar of Trumpington from 1956-90;
Mardler Close ‘Mardler’ is a winter wheat produced by the PBI in 1977.
Maris Lane: named after the Maris family who built and lived in Maris House and farmed Church Farm in the early-mid 19th century. ‘Maris’ was used as the first element in the name of a number of the crops developed by the Plant Breeding Institute, whose entrance was on Maris Lane from the 1950s.
Martin Road: Named after the Martin family, who were the last resident
farming family of Glebe Farm, taking over from the Tebbit family. George Martin (1917-96) and Brenda Martin farmed here from 1957-58 to the 1970s. This was a dairy farm until the mid 1970s, then an arable farm.
Merryvale: derivation not known.
Monkswell: derivation not known.
Newton Road: named after Trinity College fellow Isaac Newton (1642-1727); building started from 1892-96.
Nine Wells Road: named after Nine Wells Local Nature Reserve, where there is a series of springs which provide the source for Hobson’s Brook, to the south east of Clay Farm.
Northrop Road: named after the Northrop family who lived in the local area. Eli Northrop (c. 1864-1952) was an agricultural labourer who married Elizabeth Stearn (c. 1861-1950) in 1888. Eli and Elizabeth Northrop had four daughters, born in Trumpington between 1889 and 1901. Eli and Elizabeth lived at Clay Farm Cottages, on the south side of Mill Road [Long Road], until 1924; in 1934 they came back to Trumpington and lived in Mill Cottages, on the north side of Long Road. They were both buried in Trumpington.
Old Mills Road: ‘Old Mills Field’ was a field name for an area near the river to the north of the old railway line, used as a name when the land was farmed and during the Plant Breeding Institute period
One Tree Road ‘One Tree Field’ was a field name for this area when the land was farmed and during the Plant Breeding Institute period.
Osprey Drive: ‘Maris Osprey’ was a winter oat variety bred by the PBI.
Otter Close. ‘Maris Otter’ is a winter variety of malting barley bred by PBI now used mainly by artisan brewers. It was the 50th harvest of the variety in 2015.
Overhill Close: Jack Overhill (1903-89) was a local writer, broadcaster and river swimmer. He and his wife, Jessie, bought 99 Shelford Road in 1927 and lived there for some years then and again from 1945.
Paget Road and Paget Close: named in 1946, presumably after Sir George Edward Paget (1809-92), an eminent physician involved with the development of Addenbrooke’s Hospital and the Medical School.
Palmer House (Harvest Way) William Palmer (1538/9-1605) was Vicar of
Trumpington, c. 1564-67; John Palmer (d. 1607), was Vicar of Trumpington, c. 1596-99, and Dean of Peterborough from 1597-1607.
Partridge Close: named after the grey or English partridge, which is a declining species. Good numbers still breed on Hobson’s Park.
Piper Road: ‘Maris Piper’ is a highly successful potato variety bred in Trumpington by the PBI, first released in 1966 and still in production. When the area was excavated in 2011, the archaeological team found evidence of the early Saxon settlement to the west of Piper Road, including the bed burial and the gold and garnet Trumpington Cross.
Pinnington Close. A theological historian by profession, Judith Pinnington was born John Pinnington and served as Trumpington’s first transgender councillor on the City Council from 2001 to 2004.
Pitman House (Vicarage Way) the Pitman family ran a grocery store at 150
Shelford Road from the 1930s to the 1970s (C.J. Pitman & Son in the 1970s).
Plantation Avenue: Clay Farm had a number of linear plantations which have been retained as part of the new development, including one planted in the early 1980s along the west side of Hobson’s Brook and another running east-west across the fields.
Porson Road and Porson Court: named after Trinity College fellow Richard Porson (1759-1808); built from the 1960s
Proctor Drive:. ‘Proctor’ was a spring barley with good malting quality bred by the PBI, the use of which resulted in a tripling of barley production between the 1950s and 1960s
Pychard Road: The Pychard or Pitcher family owned one of the manors in the parish of Trumpington from the 1400s. When Thomas Pychard died in 1655, he devised his lands to his wife Mary, who lived at Trumpington Hall. By 1657, Mary Pychard had married Sir James Whitelocke, a Cromwellian knight. In 1675 the heirs Thomas and John Pitcher sold the reversion to Sir Francis Pemberton, but Lady Whitelocke remained at Trumpington Hall until her death in 1715.
Queensway: built in the Queen’s Silver Jubilee year, 1977.
Raeburn House: (Lapwing Ave) named after Mary Raeburn (1914-93), Trumpington resident and respected watercolour artist, who painted local wild flowers.
Rayleigh Close: named after Trinity College fellow Lord Rayleigh (1842-1919).
Reed Close: named after the local builder, David Reed, built in 1984 after a long argument. The original plan had been for 12 houses, later reduced to 6 houses on a smaller footprint, leaving land to left and right for separate development.
Renard Way: ‘Renard’ is a winter wheat produced by the PBI in 1983.
Rialto Close: ‘Rialto’ winter wheat was bred in Trumpington by the PBI.
Royal Way: the area of Clay Farm immediately to the east of Shelford Road became known as the Showground after being used by the Royal Show in 1951, 1960 and 1961. Annual shows were organised by the Royal Agricultural Society from 1839 to 2009. In the 1950s, these shows were major celebrations of farming, with large-scale structures being erected and high visitor numbers.
Rutherford Road: named after Trinity College fellow Lord Rutherford (1871-1937); built in the 1970s.
Saint Michael Street: St Michael is one of the two saints now associated with Trumpington Parish Church (previously dedicated to St Nicholas).
Salisbury Place: built on allotment land in 1987 and assumed to be named after Salisbury Cathedral
The Sayle Building (Addenbrooke’s Road): named after Robert Sayle (1816-83), a draper and philanthropist who built Leighton House on the east side of Trumpington Road in the late 1860s and lived there with his wife and children (now the Perse Preparatory School). The Robert Sayle store in Cambridge became part of the John Lewis group in 1940.
Scotsdowne Road: named after Scott’s builders yard?
Seekings Close: named after the Seekings family. Charlie Seekings (1878-1949) was a cowman and milkman who lived at Whitelocks Yard, High Street. He married Sarah Wilson in 1899 and had 12 children, some of whom remained in Trumpington into the 1980s. One son, Charles Stanley Seekings (1913-1982), also a milkman, lived at Clay Farm Cottages.
Sefton Close: derivation not known.
Shelford Road: the road between Trumpington village and Cambridge Road, Great Shelford; shown as ‘Turnpike Road’ on the 1804 inclosure map; named ‘Shelford Road’ in the 1911 census.
Showground Road and Showground Close: the road is on the line of a farm track from Shelford Road to the site for the Royal Agricultural Show in 1951, 1960 and 1961. Showground Road and Showground Close were named in 2012 when a group of apartments were built to the rear of 99-105 Shelford Road, adjacent to the newly built Addenbrooke’s Road.
Skylark Road: nearby Hobson’s Park is a stronghold for this declining species all year round
Southacre Close: named after the house built for Reverend Henry Latham, which has been replaced by five blocks of flats, Hinxton House, Chesterford, Barrington, Chippenham and Thriplow which are named after local parishes.
Southbrooke Close: derivation not known.
The Southwell Building (Royal Way) and Southwell Drive: named after Sir Richard Vynne Southwell (1888–1970), a mechanical and aeronautical engineer who developed relaxation methods for solving partial differential equations. In 1918, he married Isabella Wilhelmina Warburton Wingate (1896-1985), the step-daughter of Viola Patience Campbell Pemberton. The Southwell family lived at Cromwell House, Trumpington Road, and later at The Old House, Church Lane. Sir Richard was a Fellow at Trinity College in 1914 and from 1925-29, Professor of Engineering Science at Oxford University from 1929, and Rector of Imperial College, London, from 1942-48. He retired to Trumpington in 1948.
Spinney Road: There were a number of small woods (spinneys) in the farms around Trumpington.
Spring Drive: ‘Spring Field’ was a field name for an area with a spring near the river to the south of the old railway line. This was used as a name when the land was farmed and during the Plant Breeding Institute period.
Stallon Close named after a family who lived in Trumpington for five generations, starting with James and his wife Martha whose son Arthur Stallan (1871-1944) took over the Nursery in Trumpington Road from George Willers senior, and lived there with his wife Mary Annie Willers and then in Shelford Road.
Tebbit Street: Named after the Tebbit family, who lived locally. Frank Oswald Tebbit (1878-1957) married Alice Elizabeth Fletcher (c. 1882-1962) in 1904. Frank Oswald and Alice Elizabeth Tebbit lived at 116 Shelford Road by the early1930s and Frank Oswald Tebbit was the dairy farmer at Glebe Farm for over 40 years from the early 1930s to 1957.
Todd Street: named after Alexander Robertus Todd, Lord Todd of Trumpington (1907-97), an eminent organic chemist. He married Alison Sarah Dale in 1937, the daughter of Sir Henry Dale, Nobel Laureate. He was Chair of Chemistry at the University of Cambridge from 1944-71 and Master of Christ’s College from 1963-78. He received the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1957 for research on the structure and synthesis of nucleotides, nucleosides and nucleotide coenzymes. Alexander Todd was knighted in 1954 and made a life peer in 1962, when he chose Trumpington as his territorial designation, since he lived in the parish. He was awarded the Order of Merit in 1977. The family were living at 32 Barrow Road from the 1940s to the 1960s.
Trumpington Place: a small development by Carlton Homes, built by Gusto Construction in 2013, located to the rear of 102-108 Shelford Road.
Trumpington Road: the road between Trumpington village and the Lensfield Road junction with Trumpington Street, Cambridge; shown as ‘Turnpike Road’ on the 1804 inclosure map; named London Road on Baker’s 1830 map and Trumpington Road on the 1880 Ordnance Survey map. On the 1910 Land Value map, ‘Trumpington Road’ was used for the road now called the High Street as well as the extension north to Cambridge but is now only used for the road north from the Long Road junction.
Trumpington Meadows The housing development west of Hauxton Road and south of the parish church and village centre, named by its developers in the mid-2000s. The land was taken over by the Government after WW2 and became a world-famous centre of agricultural plant breeding.
Whitelocks Drive: named after the Whitelocke family, also known as Whitelock. In 1657, Sir James Whitelocke married Mary Pychard, who lived at Trumpington Hall. Sir Francis Pemberton purchased the Hall in 1675, but Lady Whitelocke remained there until her death in 1715. In his will of 1724, George Whitelocke left a house on the west side of the High Street to help relieve poverty in Trumpington. That house and grounds has been rebuilt 4 times in the last 200 years, now known as Whitlocks
Whittington Road: named after Harry Whittington (1916-2010), a palaeontologist who was a world expert on trilobite fossils, and the Woodwardian Professor of Geology at Cambridge from 1966-83 He lived in Rutherford Road
Whittle Avenue and Whittle House (Kingfisher Gardens): named after Sir Frank Whittle (1907-96), aeronautical engineer and inventor of the jet engine, who lived in Trumpington while he was a student at Cambridge University in the 1930s.
Willers Lane: named after Catherine Elizabeth (Kitty) Willers (1898-1977), the daughter of George Willers, nurseryman, and Alice (Lawrence). Kitty was a bell-ringer extraordinaire, the captain of the church bell tower and a respected village personality who lived in the High Street.
The Williams Building (Addenbrooke’s Road): named after Glanville Llewelyn Williams (1911-1997), a campaigner and reformer of the justice system, married to Lorna Margaret Lawfield. The family lived in Gazeley Road, Trumpington
Winchmore Drive: the name may be associated with the Pemberton estate?
Windmill Drive: A tower windmill (corn mill) was built in 1831, on the north side of Long Road near the Long Road/Trumpington Road junction.
The presence of the mill is recognised in the name of the first house on the north side of Long Road, Mill House. Long Road itself was named Mill Road from the late 1800s to around 1910.
Wingate Way: named after William Warburton Wingate (d. 1943), who married Viola Pemberton.
Woodpecker Way: Woodpeckers are regularly seen and heard in the local shelter belts, woods and larger gardens.
Vicarage Way: Vicarage Farm was the earlier name for Glebe Farm.
For further detailed information and studies of parts of the village, see the Trumpington Local History Group website