When the council estate was built in the 1950’s a pavilion was built on the Recreation Ground to accommodate the village cricket and football teams. It was built on the traditional layout for two changing rooms either side of a central meeting room and a room for the referee. For many years this was a focus of sporting and social life for the community, but it gradually fell into disuse and disrepair. When the 2006 Local Plan identified Trumpington as a place where a significant number of new homes and facilities could be built it was decided to refurbish it, and the Trumpington residents’ Association agreed to take of its management. The new Pavilion was opened in 2009
It has been a tremendous success, providing an affordable venue for all sorts of events and activities, and encouraging links between residents of the old village and people moving into the new ‘Great’ Trumpington.
For information about how the panel was made, look here